Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/include/common.php on line 62

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/include/common.php:62) in /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/header.php on line 31

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/include/common.php:62) in /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/header.php on line 32

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/include/common.php:62) in /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/header.php on line 33

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/include/common.php:62) in /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/header.php on line 34
Cross-Browser.com / New User Registration System

Cross-Browser.com

X Library Forums

You are not logged in.

Announcement

New user registration is currently disabled.

#1 December 27, 2009 9:53:03 pm

MikeFoster
Administrator
Website

New User Registration System

It is now live! We'll see how it does smile

#2 December 30, 2009 2:47:12 pm

MikeFoster
Administrator
Website

Re: New User Registration System

As of now I've had a total of 53 emails requesting membership, all of them from spammers. That's not bad considering I was getting from 40 to 60 new users per day before. Deleting an email is a lot easier than removing users and their posts.

On the new form I ask that new users provide a brief reason for why they want to join the X forums. Some of the reasons given are downright funny, for example "i am a girl", or "for internet marketing purposes" or "To become a member". LOL.

Some of them just paste their spam string as their reason... makes me think some of them may be bots, and if that's true then how are they getting past reCaptcha? I guess they probably are not bots.

So far it looks like the new registration system is a success, and I'm getting some ideas for improvements.

For those who have legitimate reasons for wanting to join I hope this does not discourage you from requesting membership.

#3 February 2, 2010 12:24:09 pm

MikeFoster
Administrator
Website

Re: New User Registration System

Some Reminders

If you are requesting membership with a gmail, yahoo, hotmail or other "free" email address, I will immediately suspect you are a spammer. In that case you need to provide a very good reason for wanting to join. A link to your web site would help - especially if something there corresponds with your email address, user name or full name.

I have zero tolerance for profile spammers. This is not that type of forum. Users with no real posts (fluff posts don't count) will be deleted periodically. You will not receive a notification.

On the request form you can indicate your local time zone. This also helps me to weed out spammers so please set it appropriately. I also log your IP address with your request and check it for several different things.

For those wanting to join the X Forums for legitimate reasons I sincerely apologize for these inconveniences.

Board footer