Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/include/common.php on line 62

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/include/common.php:62) in /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/header.php on line 31

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/include/common.php:62) in /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/header.php on line 32

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/include/common.php:62) in /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/header.php on line 33

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/include/common.php:62) in /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/header.php on line 34
Cross-Browser.com / [xTableHeaderFixed] development of r7, was 'need tutorial'

Cross-Browser.com

X Library Forums

You are not logged in.

Announcement

New user registration is currently disabled.

• Index
  •  » X Library
  •  » [xTableHeaderFixed] development of r7, was 'need tutorial'

#1 July 29, 2009 3:00:53 pm

aliceH

[xTableHeaderFixed] development of r7, was 'need tutorial'

Hi, I'm a designer. I've downloaded your library, looked at the demo page for xTableHeaderFixed  and I still cannot figure out how to implement this wonderful looking script. It's exactly what I've spent hours on the net looking for. I thought maybe I couldn't preview the effects on the demo page locally, so I uploaded it to my server as a test. I think that I must not have all of the files to implement. Here's the link to your demo file: http://www.thewritedesign.net/Mason/Fixed%20Table%20Headers.htm

What I'm trying to accomplish is on this page. http://www.thewritedesign.net/Mason/roll_end_bearings.htm. The second table down is really long and I want to maintain the heading as the user scrolls. Is this workable with your script?

Thanks in advance. It seems that most people on this site already know how to implement your "toys". I see many items that I think would be very useful...if I can just get past this first problem.

Last edited by MikeFoster (November 13, 2009 9:36:54 pm)

#2 July 29, 2009 3:27:41 pm

aliceH

Re: [xTableHeaderFixed] development of r7, was 'need tutorial'

For explanation purposes, assume that the root is www.thewritedesign.net/Mason/ (this site is under development). I uploaded the xthf.htm file to the root http://www.thewritedesign.net/Mason/xthf.htm. Then I put the v3.css in the root. I put the lib folder with the dependent .js files  (not the entire library, just the ones listed for this script) in the root. The x.js file is in the root. I changed the code for the js and css in the xthf.htm file to point to the right locations. I'm out of ideas....

#3 July 29, 2009 9:26:13 pm

MikeFoster
Administrator
Website

Hi aliceH, Welcome to the forums! smile

I'm afraid I had to work late tonight, but I'll get back to this as soon as I can.

Thanks!

[edit 9Nov09]
This object has went thru many changes. You might want to look at this post first.
-Mike Foster
[/edit]

Last edited by MikeFoster (November 9, 2009 12:17:27 pm)

#4 July 31, 2009 4:14:24 am

MikeFoster
Administrator
Website

Hi aliceH, a few suggestions...

1. I suggest to never use spaces in file and directory names.

2. You don't need "v3.css". That's just for my site template.

3. This file: xthf.css is not here: "http://www.thewritedesign.net/Mason/xthf.css". See line 100.

After fixing #3 above it should work. I don't see any other problem.

Keep in mind that the styles in "xthf.css" should match whatever styling you apply to the table in the html file. The styles in the html file are the styles for the table itself, but the "fixed header" is created dynamically and it needs styling that will make it match its corresponding table. These styles are defined in "xthf.css".

In the following, note that 'xthf-con-site' and 'xthf-tbl-site' are defined in "xthf.css". 'table1' is the ID of the table element in the html.

window.xthf1 = new xTableHeaderFixed('xthf-con-site', 'xthf-tbl-site', 'leftColumn', 1, 1, 'table1');

I'm sorry I haven't had much time to help you. I'm going out of town tomorrow and will be gone for a week.

#5 July 31, 2009 7:22:34 am

aliceH

Hi Mike, I saw the reference for the xthf.css but I couldn't find the file. It wasn't included in anything I downloaded. I'll give that a try. I really want it to work since it's pretty slick. Thanks for your help. I'll post after I've tried it.

#6 July 31, 2009 11:43:03 pm

MikeFoster
Administrator
Website

I hope that worked for you. This will be my last post for a little over a week.

See ya when I get back smile

#7 November 2, 2009 1:49:50 pm

eos.serveblog.net

Hi Mike,

I'm a complete script and css newbie and had the same problems. Finally got it fixed with the help of this thread. Thanks for this great script, I was looking for something alike since a long time.

Need to go play around with it for some more time until it's running perfectly. Will implement it within the next few hours I hope. Feel free to have a look in a few days: http://eos.serveblog.net/geraet/index.htm

Bye
Greg

#8 November 3, 2009 3:10:30 pm

MikeFoster
Administrator
Website

Hi Greg, Welcome to the forums!

You are very welcome - I'm glad X is useful to you. Let us know when it is ready and I'll check out your link.

For reference in this thread, here is the latest xTableHeaderFixed2 Demo. Also, here is the preliminary documentation for xTableHeaderFixed2 - not much there yet but hopefully I'll update it soon.

FYI, I'm using xTableHeaderFixed2 for a project at work and needed to make a few adaptations - things which might need to go in the default xTableHeaderFixed2, so I'll try to catch up on that soon.

Thanks! smile

#9 November 3, 2009 5:02:14 pm

eos.serveblog.net

Ok, done with it. Just uploaded everything. Took a while longer than I had hoped since I had to figure out everything by trial and error. This is the most complex script I ever implemented, lets say I understand like 5% about what it exactly does in which way. But it works.

As far as I'm conscious, I alterered everything in a way that I only had to change a few things in the existing pages at the end:

- setting doctype
- insert references to the 3 scripts
- setting table IDs, theads were already there
- removing all theads from tables I don't want to be adressed by the script
- some corrections to my existing css stylesheet to fix design errors due to the change from quirk to transitional

Tested in IE8, recent FF and Opera. FF reacts the best. IE and Opera let the projected header jump aside a bit. Therefore I blackened the table boarders. Found it more irritating, when they were viewable but not in line with the static part.

I still need to figure out how to go about this IE6.css thing. But that can wait.

Mike, if you have any advice on my use, how to make the code even more compact, let me know. I for example tried to merge a few scripts together in one file (just copy&paste one after the other), so that a visitor has only to load 5 files instead of 10 to watch one page, but it didn't work. Some of the scripts were working bugly.

[edit:] Oh yeah, this page I like most: http://eos.serveblog.net/geraet/frames/cameras_zubehoer.htm big_smile[/]

So long
Greg

Last edited by eos.serveblog.net (November 3, 2009 5:09:31 pm)

#10 November 5, 2009 6:25:58 pm

MikeFoster
Administrator
Website

Great work, Greg! I'm sorry for my late reply - been swamped at work, and haven't had a chance to look too deep.

Here's a js file (xthf.js) which contains only those X functions needed by xTableHeaderFixed, as well as the xTableHeaderFixed code.

Here's a js file (xthf2.js) which contains only those X functions needed by xTableHeaderFixed2, as well as the xTableHeaderFixed2 code itself.

The two demos now use the above compressed files.

Hmmm... I think I should have come up with different names for those two, eh?

#11 November 6, 2009 8:09:52 am

MikeFoster
Administrator
Website

I'm taking a little closer look now. I see a few things that need to be changed. I'll be making some suggestions soon.

#12 November 6, 2009 11:54:55 am

MikeFoster
Administrator
Website

Greg,

xTableHeaderFixed is several years old. It was designed to also work in IE6, which meant utilizing a technique (the "catfish") which simulates position:fixed. I really think everyone can drop support for IE6 now (or maybe that's just wishful thinking). Also, there are some things about this script that really need improving - which was making it more difficult to implement on your page. But I didn't have a lot of time, so I modified xTableHeaderFixed and have called it xTableHeaderFixed1 (boy, I really need to rename these things now!)

Here's a demo: xTableHeaderFixed1 Demo

Here's a compressed js file that contains xTableHeaderFixed1 and all the X library functions it requires: xthf1.js

Now I will try to provide some general suggestions as well as specific suggestions for implementing this on your site, however, I need to ask you some questions first.

I notice the following in the thead of all the tables:

<th style="width:80" width="80" class="thinv">eBay Price</th>
<th style="width:780" width="780">Compatible with</th>
<th style="width:1215" width="1215">Functions / Features</th>
<th style="width:221" width="221">Size (mm)</th>
<th style="width:84" width="84">Weight (g)</th>

You may have experienced problems with this, so take a look at this corrected version:

<th style="width:80px" class="thinv">eBay Price</th>
<th style="width:780px">Compatible with</th>
<th style="width:1215px">Functions / Features</th>
<th style="width:221px">Size (mm)</th>
<th style="width:84px">Weight (g)</th>

However, xTableHeaderFixed1 needs this to be defined on a CSS class for this table. So, my question is, are these widths different for each table? Or, are these widths the same for all tables on one page - but different on other pages?

#13 November 8, 2009 3:59:35 am

eos.serveblog.net

Hi Mike!

Thanks for the XTHF.JS from the post above, will look into it.

MikeFoster wrote:

xTableHeaderFixed is several years old. It was designed to also work in IE6 [...]. I really think everyone can drop support for IE6 now [].

Basically yes. Of the 123653 site hits my Analog comes up with it shows only 375 hits with Windows 98, which is the last OS that can not be upgraded to a higher IE than IE6. Mac OS IE is only v5, and in both cases it would be more efficient to use Firefox or Opera instead.
It will simply be a question of perfection to make it IE6 compatible.

MikeFoster wrote:

I notice the following in the thead of all the tables:

style="width:80" width="80"

[...]

Thanks, changed this. Guess that's why I had trouble to get Dreamweaver and IE to show the same table widths smile.

MikeFoster wrote:

However, xTableHeaderFixed1 needs this to be defined on a CSS class for this table. So, my question is, are these widths different for each table? Or, are these widths the same for all tables on one page - but different on other pages?

Yes, the second. On one page I want them identical, but want them to be customizably fittet to the needs at each page. The Tamron lens names are by far longer for example than the names of Cosina lenses, which would ressult in a lot of free space, if I defined one style for all pages. Same, more significant, for Comments and Test columns. I guess another problem will be, that I also would have to define the table width, which is not the same for all pages (but the same on one page)? And finally, in some tables there are columns existing, not needed in other tables. This can also happen between tables of the same page. For example look at the page with all these different tables I linked above. The table for Laser Matte Screens has 4 columns below the table head's first column, whereas the other tables on that page have only 3 columns there.

Btw., infact I didn't define any columns width until shortly. Only set the table width and have the browser set columns automatically. Than I started to define long columns only (mostly Comments and Tests) and very short columns because the long columns tended to get even more space in "auto width mode" and I felt a need to set a limit. The Rest of the column widths was still set automatically. Only with your XTHF I had to split big tables on one page into various tables, so that the headers inbetween would scroll each. And with this splitting I also had to define every column's width, or I would have had every table looking different on the same page. And that looks very confusing, makes it nearly unreadable.

So, with the improved script version I would have to set width via stylesheet? For some columns this would be possible globally for the whole website, for others I would have to set them individually.

Greg

Last edited by eos.serveblog.net (November 8, 2009 7:30:06 am)

#14 November 8, 2009 8:17:51 am

MikeFoster
Administrator
Website

I'm improving the script - I'll post it later today. You might want to wait about implementing anything I've posted previously.

#15 November 8, 2009 1:12:42 pm

eos.serveblog.net

I'm looking forward. And I'm not in the hurry. I was looking for a solution like this since a half year or so, maybe even longer. So I can wait a few days smile.

#16 November 8, 2009 4:59:59 pm

MikeFoster
Administrator
Website

I had three different variations of this object - but now I've combined them into one. I think it turned out very well!

Check it out: xTableHeaderFixed

I'm working on a reply to your post regarding the column widths.

#17 November 9, 2009 11:37:01 am

MikeFoster
Administrator
Website

This version of xTableHeaderFixed makes the "fixed header" look just like its corresponding table by assigning it the same className as is assigned to its table. You pass this className to the constructor when creating an xTableHeaderFixed object. So the styling of the static table needs to be done in CSS via that className.

At a minimum, all the tables will need to have a className. Tables that are styled the same can have the same className. After making this change, and before making the big change to style all tables via that className - go ahead and try it as it is with xTableHeaderFixed. It may be acceptable, but it probably will not look too good. Ideally, all the tables would have their styling defined via CSS (I realize I'm asking you to do a lot of extra work and I apologize for that). Here is a technique I use often:

HTML

<table class='tbl-theme-1'>
  <tr>
    <td class='c1'> ... </td>
    <td class='c2'> ... </td>
    <td class='c3'> ... </td>
  </tr>
</table>

CSS

/* Styles for all 'tbl-theme-1' tables */
table.tbl-theme-1 {
  /* colors, borders, padding etc */
}
table.tbl-theme-1 td.c1 {
  width: 20%;
}
table.tbl-theme-1 td.c2 {
  width: 50%;
}
table.tbl-theme-1 td.c3 {
  width: 30%;
}

So for this table, you would pass "tbl-theme-1" as the className argument to the xTableHeaderFixed constructor. That does two things: 1. all tables on the page that have this className will have the "fixed header" feature applied to them. 2. the "fixed header" will have this className assigned to it so that it looks just like its corresponding table. Now, here is something to keep in mind: xTableHeaderFixed does not rely on that className to make the widths of the "fixed header" columns the same as its corresponding table's columns. Those widths are assigned programmatically. This means, in the CSS you can have classes that define styling separate from the classes that define column widths. For example:

HTML

<table class='tbl-theme-1 col-widths-1'>
  <tr>
  </tr>
</table>

<table class='tbl-theme-1 col-widths-2'>
  <tr>
    <td class='c4'> ... </td>
  </tr>
</table>

CSS

/* Styles for all 'tbl-theme-1' tables */
table.tbl-theme-1 {
  /* colors, borders, padding etc */
}

/* Column widths for all 'col-widths-1' tables:
table.col-widths-1 td.c1 {
}
table.col-widths-1 td.c2 {
  width: 50%;
}
table.col-widths-1 td.c3 {
  width: 30%;
}

/* Column widths for all 'col-widths-2' tables:
table.col-widths-2 td.c1 {
}
table.col-widths-2 td.c2 {
}
table.col-widths-2 td.c3 {
  width: 35%;
}
table.col-widths-2 td.c4 {
  width: 25%;
}

I hope I'm not being too confusing - feel free to ask any questions.

#18 November 10, 2009 1:57:47 am

lemon_juice

Mike, I have just implemented your new script at http://cross-browser.com/x/lib/view.php?s=xTableHeaderFixed and it's fantastic, thanks! However, I found two small issues with it and fixed them for myself but you might consider these when you make updates:

1. The header doesn't inherit the cellspacing attribute from the table. I know css border-spacing solves this but still IE7 doesn't understand it so I added this code in the init() function after the line with t.className = tableClass + ' ' + htc; :

if (tables[i].cellSpacing !== '') {
          t.cellSpacing = tables[i].cellSpacing;
        }

2. When the table is wide and the horizontal scrollbar appears (I initialize fixed headers as a window object) then the header doesn't scroll with the scrollbar but stays fixed causing misalignment. What I did was in the scroll() function I moved the line with xLeft(ht, xPageX(t) - xScrollLeft(con, isWin) + cbl); 2 lines up so that it is outside the if (r) { clause. I don't know if it's the best fix but works for me.

Other than that sometimes I see small misalignment of the header cells, in FF usually not more than 1px but in IE sometimes even 3px - these tiny misalignments change as I resize the browser and seem to occur randomly. I don't know why it happens, maybe because I don't use any widths on the table cells? The cells are aligned perfectly on your demo page but I wasn't able to achieve such pixel precise result.

Michal.

#19 November 10, 2009 6:04:10 am

lemon_juice

After some experimenting I found out that lack of precision for header widths was happening only if I used border declarations on the table and the cells. Usually I declare border-top and border-left on the table element and border-right and border-bottom on all th and td elements to achieve uniform border from all sides. In such cases the fixed header widths are slightly off - more in IE than other browsers. When I removed the borders and instead added cellspacing with a background color on the table to achieve the same effect, the problem was gone and the fixed header cells got exactly the same widths as the original header in all browser. Of course, I used the cellspacing mod I posted above.

It looks like setting exact cell widths in different browsers is not that easy because IE adds borders on top of the css width while other browsers include borders in the width. I wonder if this can be solved somehow, preferably without browser sniffing?

Update: with XHTML doctype both browsers seem to set cell widths in the same way in a separate test page I made but not in your script. Perhaps there is something wrong in the xWidth() function or somewhere else? I'm using your script with XHTML doctype. Currently I am avoiding borders and all is fine.

Last edited by lemon_juice (November 10, 2009 6:15:21 am)

#20 November 11, 2009 8:55:32 am

MikeFoster
Administrator
Website

Hi lemon_juice! Welcome to the forums!

Sorry for my late reply. I have a big release to make today and pulled an all-nighter last night. Looks like you discovered some interesting things, I'll be going over your posts in detail later today when I have more time.

Thanks!

#21 November 11, 2009 11:26:39 pm

MikeFoster
Administrator
Website

Had a long release session tonight, but don't you love it when you release a big project and everything goes smoothly!

Hi Michal, thanks for your posts!

1. I never use cellSpacing but I'm sure many people do. Thanks for the code, I'll use it.

2. In one of the previous versions, I had that call to xLeft outside of the if (r), but when I reworked it this time I couldn't remember why I did that before. Thanks for figuring it out!

Usually I declare border-top and border-left on the table element and border-right and border-bottom on all th and td elements to achieve uniform border from all sides.

I've been using border-collapse: collapse to get that effect - but now that makes me wonder how that might affect xWith's border width calculation.

It looks like setting exact cell widths in different browsers is not that easy because IE adds borders on top of the css width while other browsers include borders in the width.
Perhaps there is something wrong in the xWidth() function ...

xWidth tries to take care of the box model differences, but it has been over two years since it has had anything done to it so it could stand some scrutiny and testing in the latest browsers.

Looking at xWidth, I wonder about trying something like the following? just a rough idea...

function xWidthCopy(src, dst)
{
  var i, css = ['width', 'padding-left', 'padding-right', 'border-left-width', 'border-right-width'];
  for (i = 0; i < css.length; ++i) {
    dst.style[xCamelize(css[i])] = xGetComputedStyle(src, css[i]);
  }
}

So in xTableHeaderFixed we'd have...

// Resize the header table THs.
      for (i = 0; i < th1.length; ++i) {
        xWidthCopy(th1[i], th2[i]);
      }

just a thought. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll give it a try.

[edit]Made a change to xWidthCopy above. The call to xGetComputedStyle did not need to pass true as the third argument.[/edit]

Last edited by MikeFoster (November 12, 2009 10:28:07 am)

#22 November 12, 2009 9:56:19 am

MikeFoster
Administrator
Website

BTW, I think we need to also move the call to xTop outside of the if (r).

#23 November 12, 2009 11:36:20 am

MikeFoster
Administrator
Website

Nope, xWidthCopy doesn't work in IE because e.currentStyle['width'] returns 'auto' instead of a computed pixel value, and e.runtimeStyle['width'] returns an empty string.

I also see why the cell widths are a tiny bit off - and seemingly random - because (at least in FF) getComputedStyle is returning a floating point number for the width! But not always, just in certain situations. Notice also that, evidently, FF implements border-collapse: collapse similar to what you described above - that is, borderLeftWidth is 0 even tho in the CSS I have border: 1px solid for all TDs and THs.

width:125.45px
paddingLeft:10px
paddingRight:10px
borderLeftWidth:0px
borderRightWidth:1px

Chrome handles this differently. It seems to never return a float for the width, and both left and right border widths are 1 - so I can only assume that Chrome (that is, WebKit) implements border-collapse: collapse by adjusting the width property.

width:131px
paddingLeft:10px
paddingRight:10px
borderLeftWidth:1px
borderRightWidth:1px

In FF xWidthCopy doesn't seem to work any better nor worse than the previous solution. In WebKit, it is hard to say because WebKit doesn't seem to render all the borders it should. border-collapse: collapse seems to be a problem for WebKit as well as Opera.

Removing border-collapse: collapse, implementing borders as you mention above, and setting cellSpacing='0', seems to work much better in WebKit and especially in Opera.

#24 November 12, 2009 5:31:05 pm

MikeFoster
Administrator
Website

I think I've found a combination of things that works very well in all the browsers I have. I'll post it soon.

Last edited by MikeFoster (November 12, 2009 6:50:08 pm)

#25 November 12, 2009 7:06:20 pm

MikeFoster
Administrator
Website

I've uploaded my latest changes to xTableHeaderFixed as well as both of the demos.

The demos now do not use border-collapse: collapse in the CSS. They do use cellSpacing='0' in the HTML. This, together with the code changes, seems to make it work very well in all browsers I have. The alignment is perfect in all the browsers except in Firefox with table 3, where it is only slightly off.

Code changes:

1. In setting the width of the header-table I now add the static table's 'border-left-width'.

2. Now assigns the static table's cellSpacing to the header-table.

3. When !isWin and the browser is Opera then do not add the container's border widths.

• Index
  •  » X Library
  •  » [xTableHeaderFixed] development of r7, was 'need tutorial'

Board footer